ST. MARY'S CONVENT
ST. MARY’S CONVENT, MARJIL
St. Mary’s School, Marjil took its roots and growth in 1895 due to the pressing appeal and encouragement for girls’ education within Milagres Parish. Very Rev. Mother Marie Des Anges the then Superior General of the Apostolic Carmel welcomed this idea. The foundation was originally laid by Mrs. Seraphine and Rita Saldhana who had devoted themselves to teaching a band of 42 children in a rented bungalow. On 20th February 1895 it passed into the care of the Apostolic Carmel, under the title of St. Mary’s Girls’ School. The Government recognized it in 1897. This tiny root developed rapidly under the fostering care and the management of the Apostolic Carmel.
At the beginning, the Sisters resided at St. Ann’s Convent, Bolar. The school was affiliated to St. Ann’s Training School. The late Rev. Mother Aloysia carefully watched over its destiny as Headmistress and Correspondent for 30 years, with the help of the popular Headmistress Mother Leonora and Sister Eulalia for 15 years till 1925. The Inspectress Miss Lynch gave a good report stating that the school was good one in every respect, the only lack being, want of accommodation. Some classes were shifted to St. Ann’s premises. The Education Department later gave a warning stating that the classes could not be upgraded into a Secondary School if the needed accommodation was not provided. It was at this critical juncture that Providence came to the rescue through the generous gift of the present site. The late Mr. Manual Salvodor Mascarenhas donated this property to the Apostolic Carmel titled Marjil. Late Mr. S. Mascarenhas had two daughters. – Marjorie and Lilah. He wanted their names to be associated with his property. Marjorie became an A. C. Sister, the late Sister Scholastica and Lilah got married and settled in Australia.
As the population increased year after year, the number of children increased in each class and new sections had to be opened. New buildings had to be erected at great cost. With the change of languages English/Kannada mediums were provided. The transfer of the School from Hampankatta to Marjil took place on January 14th 1932. In 1934 St. Mary’s Convent had a formed community with Sister Monica as the first Superior. In 1948 this school became a fully fledged High School. The English Primary School was opened in 1961. In 1972 the boarding house for students was constructed. In 1982 July the Golden Jubilee of the Convent was celebrated. In 1999 the blessing and inauguration of the new High School building was held. In 2002 the High School was upgraded to Composite Pre-University College responding to the felt need of the people around. In 2008 the PU Block was completed and in 2010 the new St. Mary’s Preparatory School was completed.
We gratefully acknowledge the contribution made by all towards the growth of the convent and institutions. Their memories and foot prints will be remembered in the sands of time.
St. Mary’s Convent
Mangaluru – 575 001
Ph. No: 0824- 2423735